Ukulele, Music Theory & More
Remote lessons available for those outside of Austin.
I teach all ages and experience levels. Beginners to pros. Young children to senior citizens. Are you wanting to learn your favorite song on ukulele? Are you interested in learning ear-training, improvising, writing songs, playing in an ensemble, reading music or the art of chord melody? I'm very committed to helping build a thriving ukulele community in Austin and offer private and small group instruction for ukulele players. My ukulele curriculum includes the Ukulele in the Classroom series by Canadian ukulele pioneers James Hill and Chalmers Doane as well as my own courses that range from beginner to advanced levels. I strive to put together the most complete and thorough package to best guide every student I teach. For those that fall outside of my breadth of teaching expertise or teaching style, I have a great list of other phenomenal music teachers in Austin, TX. Please fill out a new student form here to ignite your musical journey!.
What you will find at my teaching studio: iMac with 27" screen to enhance student viewing of educational videos; iPad equipped with many great apps to enhance the learning experience; a vast array of acoustic and electric instruments and amps ranging from classic vintage gear to modern handmade pieces; a deep library of books, magazines, dvds that will highlight various aspects of the musical path; longleaf pine hardwood floors; studio grade acoustic sound baffles; high definition video camera for capturing student performances, skype lessons and making personalized lesson videos; a diverse range of effects and pedals; and printer/scanner to copy instructional materials. A friendly, comfortable waiting room with free wireless internet is provided for parents and students. Professionalism, presence and patience are the standards of my business and I bring them to all interactions. My rates are reflective of my teaching credentials, decades of experience as a successful musician and the high quality, personalized services I provide.
Lesson scope includes: ukulele (group and private), bass, songwriting, performance, music theory, arranging, and music business mentoring. All my teaching is student-based, which means YOU determine what you want from the lessons. I simply guide and accompany you on this journey and help make sure you get there.
I am a certified Elementary Educator in the State of Texas and a certified Level 3 Teacher in the James Hill Ukulele Initiative. I have training and experience working with children and I understand how to reach youngsters in a healthy, positive, fun and efficient manner. My skills and knowledge as a classroom teacher translate well into music lessons for you or your child. I also have certification in ESL (English as a Second Language). This enables me to communicate and instruct non-native English speaking students and their parents in an informed and effective way.
For more information and to design a personalized plan for your lessons, please email:
or call me at: 512.739.5946
My Studio is in my home at
7004 Rufus Dr.
Austin TX, 78752
MY PHILOSOPHY and APPROACH
As a teacher I focus on pointing each student toward the music they want to create or recreate. Typical styles would include Country and Western, Rock, Folk, Jazz, Blues, Soul, R&B, Reggae and many others. I'll work with each student to break down the components of what they'd like to learn and develop a fun and rewarding practice regimen. Music theory is also something I enjoy introducing to students, as it can be a means to understanding and experiencing the vast possibilities of expression on the guitar. I offer both individual and group lessons depending on the need of the student. I've spent many years playing guitar and I want to share what I've learned and apply it to what you want to achieve musically. I also tend to learn a great deal from my students during the creative interaction of teaching. My journey as a player and performer can be found here. I strive to build creative, vital and authentic relationships with each of my students. I find this to be the foundation for a powerful learning experience.
As a player, songwriter and teacher I’m interested in exploring options and making informed, creative and organic choices. I’m as interested in what isn’t played and why as in what is played. I’m an avid listener of many styles of music and focus on the role of the guitar in serving the song and integrating into an ensemble music approach. I have a huge appreciation of the trust placed in me as a teacher and seek to honor it thoroughly in the most respectful and helpful manner possible. As a teacher I’m very dedicated to helping students discover and develop their own authentic “voice” on the instrument. I particularly enjoy working with songwriters in a closer investigation of the guitar as it relates to composition in an effort to maximize the options of expression available to an artist. To me space truly is the final frontier and I am constantly challenging myself to find new ways to provide space in both my music and the music of those with whom I play. I like to look at it as sonic feng shui.
Teaching Credentials and Affiliations
- James Hill Ukulele Initiative Level 3 Certificate
- James Hill Ukulele Initiative Level 2 Certificate
- James Hill Ukulele Initiative Level 1 Certificate
- James Hill Ukulele Initiative Teacher Trainer (2015, 2016)
- Membership in Texas Music Educator's Association, Austin Independent Music Instructors and Austin Classical Guitar Society
- Currently enrolled in Guitar Curriculum Teacher Training through ACGS
- Have led ukulele workshops across the US and Canada
- Ukes in the Classroom-Texas Level 1 Teacher Training Certificate
- EC-4 Generalist Teaching Certificate in the State of Texas
- ESL (English as a Second-Language) Certificate in the State of Texas
- Completion of Huston-Tillotson's Alternative Teaching Certification Program
- B.A. in Communication from Boise State University
- Over 25 years experience teaching music professionally
- 30+ years experience playing music
- Over 25 years experience playing music and touring professionally
- Over 15 years of experience as a music producer
- I've played on national television shows such as Austin City Limits, On the Verge, Nashville Star, Studio 330 Sessions and have been in numerous music videos. and have appeared on over a dozen albums as a guitarist, including major label and independent releases.
Over the years I've had the pleasure of playing with an amazing host of musicians including:
- The Flatlanders, Robyn Ludwick, Bruce and Charlie Robison, Alejandro Escovedo, James Hill, Amy Atchley, Will and Charlie Sexton, Barry Smith aka "Frosty", Ian MacLagan, Jimmy LaFave, Ricky Skaggs, Leann Atherton, Rich Brotherton, David Grissom, Curtis Stigers, Chuck Prophet, the Groundwork Music Orchestra and many others. Each experience has added to the depth and richness of my musical journey. I have also led my own bands as a singer-songwriter.
What My Students Are Saying: